Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 1 - Mary, Martha & April?

I am currently reading a book entitled; "Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World" by Joanna Weaver. If you have not read this book, I would encourage you to add it to your list. A wonderful friend gave it to me and it has been a real "heart-opener" for me. (my name is April - thus the title for day 1)



Like many of you, I am a worrier at heart. I am not exactly certain what this is rooted in. Childhood experiences, motherhood, personality, DNA...? Probably a combination of all of the above. With the emotion of worry you also cultivate a strong gene for Anxiety. Again, I am not sure what the root is but I can tell you Worry & Anxiety are strong cousins and they love to hang out. I think they actually feed off of each other.



As I have been reading this book, I have learned that these emotions are not of God. They are not what he wants for us. I never thought about that before and this really put them in to a new context for me. Did you know that the term "fear not" is mentioned 350 times in the bible. You see God also knew we were stubborn or slow to listen. In my case probably a little bit of both.



Understanding this fundamental concept about worry and anxiety has been a big "wake up call." It seems like we are all over-scheduled, under- appreciated and over-taxed 24/7. As a matter of fact I can count on one hand the number of people I know who appear to have "balance" in their lives. No wonder we have things like road rage and compulsive eating disorders.



Back to the good stuff. The bible provides us with guidance and hope....yes HOPE!! Here are a couple of passages that really work:

Matthew 11:28-30 (New International Version)

Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.



Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with Thanksgiving, present your requests to God and the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.



I have written these 2 bible verses on index cards and I have put them on my bathroom mirror. They are a healthy and constant reminder to put my worry and my concerns where they belong. With God.

No comments:

Post a Comment