Thursday, May 20, 2010

Love Thine _________?

Welcome to day 3 of my journey in faith.  My theme for today is about "loving our enemies."  This is a reflection on an event that impacted me within the last day and it presented me with an incredible opportunity for growth.

Have you ever been kind to someone and their response to you was negative?  It happens.  It also provided me with an opportunity for growth and reflection.  This is where "loving thine enemy" came to mind. 

How do we reach out in love when someone has been mean to us? 

How do we forgive when we have been hurt? 

How do we respond when we are verbally attacked?

These may sound like strong statements but they are all part of life.  We will all deal with these situations at some point.  It becomes a part of our faith fabric.  It is easy to respond with love when people are kind to us however it is much more challenging when people are unkind to us. 

However, if we receive insults or negative expressions, we are called to respond in a Christ-like manner. It is important not to take things personally or give in to hurt feelings.  When our emotions take over in these types of situations the response will most likely be inappropriate.

Instead, my recommendation is to see the other person as someone with a problem who needs God's help and your prayers.  I know this sounds good in theory.  I am trying to exercise this exact muscle as I type this.  I know it will require discipline for me NOT to respond as I normally would.  I am also going to recite the scripture below to help me during this time.

2 Corinthians 12:10 (New International Version)


That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

I am certain this is not the last time I will write on this topic however it is a blessed beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment